Vermont’s Tobacco Laws Protect Everyone
Online Sales Restricted
Tobacco substitutes containing nicotine, including e-cigarettes, can only be sold by a retailer who is licensed or has purchased their products from a licensed wholesaler.
Tobacco substitutes containing nicotine, including e-cigarettes, are subject to a 92% tax on the wholesale cost.
Age to Purchase Increased
Vermont raised the age to purchase tobacco products to 21. This includes cigarettes, e-cigarettes and any other tobacco substitute that contains nicotine.
Flavored Tobacco is Attractive and Dangerous for Youth and Young Adults
- Young people are more likely than adults to use flavors (source).
- Teens who first try tobacco using a vape are 3 times more likely to be a current cigarette smoker within two years (source).
- 86% of young Vermonters who ever used an e-cigarette, first used started with a flavored e-cigarette (source).
- 86% of e-cigarette users age 12-25 use flavored e-cigarettes (source).
- The truth about both flavored tobacco and e-cigarette products is they usually
contain nicotine, which is addictive, toxic and can affect brain development (source).
- Flavored e-cigarette products contain toxic chemicals that can cause cancer and lung disease (source).
Mint and Menthol Flavors Are Legal and Dangerous
Youth are three times more likely to smoke menthol cigarettes than adults (source).
Use of disposable e-cigarettes among youth was 10 times higher the year after the FDA cracked down on the sale of pre-filled flavor pods (source).
Youth who smoke menthol cigarettes report greater dependency on nicotine than non-menthol youth smokers (source).
Flavored tobacco products especially menthol are promoted to target populations including at retail stores in Black neighborhoods and near schools (source).
The more often your children, teenagers and young adults are exposed to flavored tobacco products and advertising, the more likely they are to start using tobacco (source).
Vermont By The Numbers
of all Vermont high school students have tried a flavored tobacco product (YRBS 2019).
The rate of vaping among high school youth in VT doubled between 2017 and 2019 (YRBS 2019)
of Vermont high school students have tried an electronic vapor product (YRBS 2019).
Tobacco Retailers By The Numbers
of tobacco retail stores in Vermont sell e-cigarettes.
of Vermont tobacco retail stores sell flavored products.
of Vermont tobacco retail stores offer tobacco product price promotions.